Monday, November 18, 2013

Spicy Vegetarian Tofu Curry


This is very simple to make but impressive to serve. You can substitute chicken, fish or beef if you dont like tofu, but I usually eat vegetarian once a week, and this is a great way to make a powerful vegetarian dinner for the family (ie my boyfriend).

Slice vegetables into strips and pieces that are about the same size. That means your onions, bell peppers, carrots and zucchini can be in strips, and your mushrooms, broccoli and other buttony flowery veggies can be in pieces. Grill them all together in a little olive oil and add some jalapeno peppers in strips if you (or your man) like the spice.  I take them out at the end and use as a garnish on his plate, that way I still get a little spice since they cooked down with the other veggies. 

Meanwhile heat up another skillet and arrange your sliced tofu (strips like sticks of doublemint gum) evenly in the pan.  Once they brown on one side (about 10 minutes) flip and sprinkle some cumin over the top of each. Keep stirring your veggies too, until they are soft but still al dente. I'm not a raw foodist, but I appreciate the theory behind raw food -- that when you overcook veggies you are turning them from alkaline to acid, and that our bodies are constantly looking for more alkaline.  Keep your green veggies fresh and green and your onions clear even while cooking.  

Once everything is nice and cooked, combine the tofu with veggies, and add a tablespoon of curry powder, a teaspoon of crushed garlic (I buy the glass jar from TJs) and a can of low-fat coconut milk.  Simmer and cover, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.  

I like to cook rice in chicken or vegetable broth instead of water, and I add herbs, spices and onions right before I cover it.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment