Monday, August 26, 2013

3-day Suja Juice Cleanse: Day ONE

So... Since everyone at my studio loves Suja juices, and I have always loved having one or two a week when I'm hungry and need a good healthy snack to get me through to the next meal, I decided to try a 3-day cleanse.

Let me start by saying that when I say "I love to eat healthy food", what I'm really saying is that I love to EAT. Drinking is much different, unless its champagne or red white, I don't love the idea of drinking all my calories. I never drink mixed drinks, beer, juices, soda, punch, etc. I've always enjoyed eating, so I've chosen chewy calories over liquid. Also, I have a hard time with the fact that juicing just removes the fiber from a delicious whole food. I admire whole foods - in fact I try to use roots, stem, leaves, flowers, etc of everything. I even make fish stock from shrimp tails. I hate to waste, and actually love finding creative ways to use leftovers. So, on many levels this is hard for me. Still, I wanted to try something tough, mostly so that I can have an opinion and help others.

Day One: Woke up with a slight hangover from red wine last night... sort of forgot I was going to do this cleanse today since yesterday was a full day of cooking and entertaining for work. I lay in bed for about 45 minutes, checking email and the news, debating with myself about this stupid cleanse. I drank a full bottle of water, as a I always do.  I decided to do it, why not, and headed into the kitchen, pushed the eggs aside and grabbed my Glow, day one, drink one. I know that I like Glow, so I joyfully opened it at 8am on the dot, drank water, watched CNN, made a plan to go to yoga... it took me about half an hour to drink the first bottle, and before I finished I filled the bottle with cold water to make sure I hydrated and to make the substance last longer. Glow is yummy, sweet, and tastes like apples.

I was tired in yoga. I usually fly into crow, hold my warrior 3 while sweat drips down my nose, bind in side angle til my leg shakes... you get the picture. Balls to the wall yogi right here.  But I usually have a big egg white veggie omelet and some coffee and grapefruit when I wake up. This morning I was about a 4 out 10... lots of child's pose, no need to push 3 Wheels... you know.

Went home, drank Fuel at 10:45, called my friend and made a plan to go shopping as a major distraction. I felt out of my body all day - especially while out in the world. Shopping wasn't fun, I felt cranky, but I kept smiling and was proud of myself. Fuel tastes like carrots and cotton balls.

1pm: drank Purify. It tasted like carrots and beets - and I love roasted carrots and beets, but not juiced ones. It kind of tastes like a bad V8 and very starchy. Like peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth without milk to wash it down (except, unfortunately, no peanut butter taste).

Brain pretty fuzzy, feeling pretty dizzy, but determined. I have left over  poached salmon in the fridge and I want to eat it. I wont. I'm too determined. My pal Katie says I'm tough via text message so I push onward, drink some more water, and crack open the beautiful green Fiji bottle at 3:15pm. Its OK. Better than the Fuel or Purify. I have a head ache and I'm dizzy when I stand up, but I chew some gum, chug some water, and start mentally preparing myself for teaching from 6-8pm this evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment